In Depth Look at the Fleece Study Part 8

Friday, February 17, 2017

Today marks the fifth in a series of posts in which we are going to look at an in depth explanation of all the breeds in the fleece study. Generally I spun rather thin, but I tried to spin how ever the wool felt comfortable.
Today we are looking at some other fleece samples that do not fit in any of the previous families.


Left to right: Jacob, Columbia, Bleu de Maine, Corriedale


The Jacob sample that I had was a fairly even distribution between brown and white. I split the colors up from brown, to mixed, to white. I then carded the locks into variegated colors and spun them from white, to mixed, to brown. I then took the single and Navajo plied it to keep the color way consistent.


The Columbia sample was carded and spun woolen. The end result is something on the crisp side, but with a nice loft and slight halo.


I was pleasantly surprised with the Bleu de Maine sample. I was able to spin it quite fine from roll logs and still keep a very soft feel. This would be another sample I would spin again.


The last sample to be looked at is Corriedale. I unfortunately spun both the single and the ply in the same directions and it came out a little wonky. However, the sample was easy to card and spin. The resulting yarn, though over plied has a fairly soft hand to it.

Thus concludes the In Depth Look at the Fleece Study. I hope this opened your eyes to many different breeds of sheep and I hope you try some of them. This study was an amazing thing to do as a spinner. It was highly educational and opened many avenues for me to examine the whole process from fiber preparation, to spinning, to setting twist. The next journey in the spinning world for me is going to be a study through the Camelids. Stay tuned!

Post a Comment