Wherefore and Why Are we Knitting?

Saturday, January 7, 2017

Today Joe and I walked the town, stopping in a number of different shops. On our little journey we stumbled into book stores and thrift shops, antique shops and hodge-podge boutiques. Every one of them having something interesting to comment on, mainly us saying "That's my style" or "I would love to have that in my home".
We came across one store that had antiques, collectibles, and hand made items from local people. Joe asked me if I had seen a sign at the front counter. I had not. We walk back to the counter and there is a sign saying that the shop would love to have hand made items for the store. I spoke with a lovely woman about it, and then Joe and I left.
For the people that know me, it takes me awhile to process things and come up with ideas, usually involving a long internal conversation and brainstorming to come up with ideas. I began thinking: "What can I make that I can make a profit on?" That then went to me thinking of the yarn I have, projects that I have done, patterns that I've seen, etc..
Now here is the point to this: Why does the 21st century person knit? Because we like doing it? We find it fulfilling? There is a hint of escapism to it? It's relaxing? I think these are all important concepts to our knitting. But, if you put the "making something to generate a profit" into knitting, does it still fulfill the above concepts?
We grow up in this country to think we can be whatever we want to be, mainly  growing up to be a strong business tycoon, or high government official. But what about the smaller jobs, like being a tailor, or a painter? You might not want to be the next high-end designer, or pain the next Sistine Chapel, but you do want to make beautiful clothes for people, or paint the beauty of the world through your eyes. Is success only granted to those who make something from what they do?
The success I feel after casting off a piece is insurmountable, but the fulfillment I get from the item after blocking it is not containable. How do you put a price on that? You think, 'Ok, x amount of money would bring me similar enjoyment', but do the people who can actually afford said item really appreciate it for the amount you have for it.
Today clothes are not like pieces of art, there is an infinite number of garments of clothing for sale and the people who do wear art, i.e. Haute Couture, are in a fraction of that one percentile. That handful of people appreciate the hand work, the craft, that goes into that article.
So at the present, my art will be hidden, like the sunflowers and self portraits of Vincent Van Gogh, possibly not forever, but for the present I'm going to cherish them until I can send them out into the world for others to enjoy.

How's the cowl coming? Are you ready for the next step?

Maybe I'll give it away tomorrow...

Post a Comment