Sweaters

Saturday, January 3, 2015

Good Morning All,
Last night I spent far too long attempting to put together my first sweater for The Elizabeth Zimmerman Challenge. I mean between 10 different gauge swatches, attempting patterns, planning patterns on graph paper, I must have spent 6 or 7 hours just on that.
So this morning I woke up early, (I have a rehearsal for a concert...did I mention I sing?) and I started back on the sweater. Luckily I had found some patterns that I liked. In my gathering of resources I had found a book I rather liked. Now it is not Elizabeth Zimmerman, but I think she would be proud of me either way. It is an Aran sweater, that I will be knitting and I feel she would be proud in just that.
Now in The Knitters Almanac, Ms. Zimmerman discusses how to knit, but more importantly how to make it your own art form!
Today, a lot of people knit but they use some one else's patterns. The tradition of Aran knitting, and really any traditional needlecraft, not just knitting, is not given to you in a pattern but rather self created. In Aran knitting the patterns were passed down within a family, Italians have a different dialect in each region, the Irish have a different stitch for every family. Knitting to the Aran people was a way to express something. It was just a mixture of knits and purls.
So what I am saying to you is, KNIT! but, make your knitting your own and change the stitch pattern up, or change the sleeve, or the neck line. Trust me, you can do it!
Happy Knitting,
Old Niagara Outfitters

Post a Comment